My daughter Marianne has been sick with fever and has colds since Monday. This was after her 7th birthday celebration on Saturday, Sept. 4. Her birthday was yesterday Sept 8 which also happens to be the the birthday of Mama Mary. I took her Tuesday to St. Luke's Medical Center to see a pediatrician. Since the cases of patients with dengue is on the rise, I was scared that my child might have it too. Of course like most moms, it is better to seek medical attention at the soonest possible time. The doctor at SLMC said that my daughter has Bronchitis and that there is phlegm near her lungs. She said that this is the one causing the fever. She also checked if my daughter has rashes or hematoma in her body which are some of the symptoms of dengue. And so she was cleared. She was given antibiotics and mulcosolvan to melt the phlegm so she can expel them. But the doctor said that if my daughter will still develop a fever or if there is any problem, I should have her checked again either on Thursday or Saturday morning.
I was so happy yesterday because she was already playing and the fever is gone. I thought to myself what a nice coincidence, it's her birthday and the Lord made her well. Plus she can already go to school since this is her Post Test week. We were also able to review and study some of her lessons to prepare her for her test. I went to work confident that my daughter is well enough to go to school today.
Anyway, at around 5:30am I called the house and talked to my daughter, she said that she was still not feeling well. She said that she is feeling dizzy. I talked to my mom and she said she will check on Marianne. I became worried. But of course I have to be calm. I called again and my mom said that my daughter threw up. So we decided not to let her go to school anymore. I called the parent of her classmate so that her teacher will be informed that my daughter is still sick and can't make it to school. I also texted her school bus service not to pick her up. Thank God it's a holiday tomorrow. She can still rest. I can't wait to get home and bring her to the doc. Like I said I am worried but I have to stay calm and just continue praying for healing.
Anyway, here are tips on how to deal with a sick child:
1. Do not panic. Stay calm all the time. Even in emergency cases, it is best to clear our minds of senseless worries so that we can think straight and know what action steps to take.
2. Keep your doctor's number within reach. Or better yet, save it on your mobile phone. Calmly inform your doctor about what happened. Tell him/her also what you have given your child so far (medicines, water,food).
3. Have a ready support group. If you are married, get the support of your husband. Choose a point person that will be responsible for the kid and giving information. The other parent shall be the one to hold the hand of child, erase his/her fear and be the pillar of strength of the kid. If you are single parent, enlist the help of your relatives or friends whoever is available at that time.
4. If your child had a fall or was in an accident, and hit his head or has broken an arm or a leg, Do not attempt to move him/her. Chances are you might just worsen his/her condition. Seek medical help right away. Call the paramedics or an ambulance.
5. Pack a light bag with your child's things and yours. Do not forget to bring your child's health card (if any), your identification card, other government cards needed at the hospital, a pen, extra cash.
6. Pray. Just trust in the Lord and quit worrying too much about the situation. Pray for healing..If you must, cry...but then get a hold of yourself. Crying must only be a source of release from the tension that is boiling up inside you.
7. Give your child special attention and love. Calm him/her and assure your child that everything is going to be alright. As you are convince your child you are also convincing yourself. Remember positive action always breeds a positive reaction.
I am just waiting for my shift to end...which is about now and bring my daughter to SLMC. Please pray that it's not dengue and that she will get well soon. Thanks! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment