Monday, September 6, 2010

It's never too late

I can say that I am one of the first movers on the internet here in the Philippines. Having joined Cybernet Information Service, one of the first internet service providers in the country as their Marketing Director, I remember pitching the idea of the internet to people who knew nothing about it. I met a lot of resistance during that time but the nice part was we were also able to educate people about the endless possibilities and the wealth of information that the internet brings.

I remember being the first to give free email accounts to cyber journalists - Leo Magno of the Inquirer, Joey Alarilla who is now a Division Head over at Yahoo, Erwin Oliva, Red Samar of Manila Bulletin, Jerry Liao Their organization - Cyber Press or the Cyber Journalist of the Philippines  was just starting then. And now, after 14 years, look where these people are now.  I guess the internet changed a lot of things.  

Cybernet was also the first to make the websites of the following: ABS CBN, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Mega Magazine, Preview,  Computer World, PC World, The Francis Magalona Website, NU 107, The Entertainment Philippines portal just to name a few. What Cybernet did opened doors for these companies to have their online presence which exists until today. 

However, I guess being one of the first movers has its advantages and disadvantages. First movers usually get ahead but of course timing is everything. Cybernet was first and their owners were brilliant but they were much to ahead of their time. If Cybernet started their operations in 1998, things would have been different. People were more receptive and they would have been paid for their services. But alas, because they can't sustain their operations, Cybernet folded up after 2 years. Their close competitors at that time Mozcom, Infocom, Sky Internet are still in operation but then these company focused first on selling connectivity while Cybernet wanted to take on too much too soon  - that being the leader in both connectivity and content. 

So what has that got to do with me? Honestly, with my experience in the online community - having launched the 1st magazines online, the flat .ph,  the PBA website, pinoy golfer, etc. I would have gotten far now and maybe already a guru in internet marketing. My mistake was I just didn't know what I specifically wanted to do. I tried my hands at Events Management, Public Relations, Advertising and now I am with a call center.  I am happy? I am happy but I guess I am not contented with what I have now. I can say that right now, I am looking for ways to spend more time with the kids and make money online. I guess I am humbled and eager to learn. So here I am getting tips from known Internet gurus - Jomar Hilario of http://www.jomarhilario.com, Manny Viloria (who by the way was one of our first costumers in Cybernet) of  http://viloria.net , Janette Toral of  http://www.digitalfilipino.com and http://www.bloggingfromhome.com/ and Emman Ljesta of  http://www.clickbankphilippines.com

Right now, I am writing my experiences as a single mom, my call center life, organizing events, craft making, my learning curve and basically opinions, etc. in the hope of finding a niche that will engage my readers. I am not in a hurry to make tons of money but hopefully I will get there and soon. So I guess it's never to late to start again for as long as you are humble enough to learn, you are open to new things and is willing to try and experiment till you get it right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment