Friday, July 2, 2010

The 15th Philippine President


I was born during the Martial Law years, the president then was Ferdinand Marcos. Being a toddler at the time Martial Law was declared, I never really understood what was happening. All I remembered was everyone should go home before midnight or else risk being arrested by the Metrocom. I remember seeing lots of police cars patrolling every single nook.

As I was growing up news about Marcos' abuses, cronyism, corruption were being talked about. Although, I remember clearly then, there was no clear and accurate report of what was happening since there was media censorship and news block out. However, from time to time, I would watch groups of people stage rallies only to be dispersed by water canons. By then, I knew that the government was an institution who is not to be trusted but rather feared by the people. It was only in Social Studies in grade school was when I learned about the different types of government. I learned that in democratic governments, people can talk, say their opinions and have the freedom to do pretty much what the like. I also remembered the ostentatious display of wealth that characterized the Marcos regime. It was then that a part of me wanted to fight for freedom. But the ironic part was the Philippines under Marcos has experienced the "tiger economy"

I was in high school when then Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino was shot dead at the airport Tarmac. I saw how people lined up to give their final respects to the person whom they thought could save them from the Marcos government. Soon after the death of Ninoy, a lot of people took to the streets and demanded that Marcos resign from his post as Chief Executive. Marcos' counter was to call for a snap elections. The rest was history, it was here where the historic People Power at EDSA happened. This was when, the widow of the late Senator Ninoy Aquino, Corazon Cojuangco Aquino was sworn in as the 11th Philippine President.

The Cory government was marred by lots of frustrated military take overs (coup d' etat). One bad thing that I remembered during this era was the Mendiola massacre. I was a college freshman then at UP Manila. I joined the march to Mendiola and there I witnessed some farmers die and some shot. A schoolmate was shot. I was scared so I run as fast as I could oblivious to what was happening. After that, I never joined any mass action anymore. Although I was idealistic, I chose to fight using other means. But honestly, I like Cory better than GMA who is I guess the the most corrupt President in Philippine history.

After Cory, there was Fidel Valdez Ramos. He was the travelling President for most of the year, he was out of the country talking to Presidents of different nations. In his time, there were power interruptions, something that he inherited from the Cory government. During both Cory's and Ramos' term, the peso lost much of their value. In Ramos' time, the government has a lot of controversies - the Amari deal was one of them.

Then came an actor - President Joseph Ejercito Estrada. He was like in his famous films the "champion of the masses". In fairness this actor was really no stranger to politics, he wa
s a long time Mayor in San Juan. He became a Senator then a Vice President. However, his government was marked by "excesses". Excessive womanizing, gambling and he was known to be a drunkard. This was exposed to the media and he was ousted by popular uprising and was not able to finish his term. He was also charged with plunder and was jailed until he was pardoned by his successor.

The 14th President was again a woman. She was not so tall yet she gave tall orders. Her government was marked by scandals and corruptions left and right. She tried everything to stay in power. She was Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, daughter of former President Diosdado Macapagal. In her time, the price of rice became unreasonably high and the irony of it was we are a rice producing country. We also witness the non stop increase in fuel prices
and her husband's prominence in shady deals. She was also the first president to run for a lower position and won to become a Congresswoman in her hometown province of Pampanga.

We now have a new President. I'd like to call him a reluctant president. I believe he never had any intention of running for the highest post in the country if his mother, former President Aquino died. Anyway, the rest is history he is now our leader. President Benigno Simeon Aquino, Jr. is the youngest and the first bachelor president in the Philippines. I voted for him because I believe that like his mother, there is nothing corrupt about him. I believe that after a scandalous and corruption marred government it is time for a cool change. He just assumed power and there are already some first in his orders such as banning the use of "wang wang" and following traffic policies. A true servant leader is such...lead by example so that your constituents will follow you. I know that PNoy will not let the memories of his parents be tarnished since they are considered heroes in our country.

It's ironic that now that Noynoy is President, Marcos' son Bongbong Marcos is Senator. A reversal of fate when the elder Marcos was President , Noynoy's dad Ninoy was a Senator. I guess this is something that we have to watch for.

But I also believe that we should not sit down and wait for things to happen. We need to help build this nation. We can do it in our simple ways. In my household I tell my kids not to litter. We try to practice waste segregation. For me, the President is there to lead us and make policies for the good of the nation and its people. But a lot rests in us, we just have to be good citizens all the way.

PNoy, I am behind you. I know that being in that post entails a lot and you have to be true to your campaign promise of a better Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment